Sunday, July 13, 2008

My Second Client Interview and Other Happenings

The Texas Civil Rights Project filed a petition with the court to force the Border Patrol to reveal its hurricane evacuation policy for the Rio Grande Valley. In May, officials in McAllen, Texas, undertook a simulated evacuation drill and practiced verifying the immigration status of mock evacuees. This is a very dangerous practice for all Valley residents whether or not they are documented. It is a human right to evacuate from a hurricane's path. It is completely unacceptable that the Border Patrol would unnecessarily delay the evacuation process. You can read a bit more about it here.

In other news, I participated in my second client interview on Friday. This interview went much better than the first one. I was expected to come up with the questions to ask the client and at the interview I was able to ask all the questions myself. After the interview my supervisor and I typed up an affidavit. An affidavit is basically the written statement of a witness in a case. I wasn't nervous during the process and I feel like I did a good job. So yea me!

After the interview my supervisor, two other interns, and I went out to lunch. We drove to an area called Las Milpas and ate at Melissa's Tacqueria. I inhaled some very yummy enchildas. I even ordered my coke in Spanish! Yo queiro coka cola por favor. =)

Next weekend I drive back to Austin for a final class meeting. This is the last meeting for the academic portion of my internship. After that I will have just two weeks left. I cannot believe how quickly the time has passed. While I am in Austin next weekend I hope to sign a lease for an apartment. Hopefully, I will be able to get that taken care of and I won't need to think about it anymore.

No comments: