Monday, July 21, 2008

A Quick Trip to Austin

Thursday after work, I drove up to Austin so I could attend the final class for my internship. On the way north I stopped at a Burger King. While I was filling up my cup with pop, a woman asked me if I was married and gestured behind her saying that man wants to know. I told her that I was too young to be married. So then she asked me how old I was. I explained that I was 25. She said oh that's perfect he's 30! For cripes' sake. I can't even go to Burger King without getting hit on.

Friday I attended the class and then the professors took us out to lunch. It was nice to speak with the other people about their internship experiences. It seems like mine has been much better than most.

After eating I rode around with a realtor to look at a few places to live. The realtor was very helpful and I found a new home in Austin. It is in a small complex at 47th and Red River. It is close to school, the grocery store, a city bus stop and one of my favorite coffee shops. I can't believe I have my very own apartment and I'm excited to live on my own for the first time ever.

Saturday I drove down to Gruene to watch my friend Jeff play with his band. He plays the upright bass for The Belleville Outfit. They opened for Lyle Lovett a few weeks ago. How cool is that? Uncle Pat you can check them out here. They will be playing at the Austin City Limits Music Festival in September.

Then I headed to San Antonio to visit my friend, Val, from high school. She is working at an internship for her doctorate of audiology. It was great to catch up with her.

Sunday I started south for the Valley but got myself a bit lost. Don't fret though I busted out my trusty Texas map and followed 173, 16 and 140 back to the main highway route. It was truly beautiful out there in the middle of nowhere and I even drove on a dirt road for a bit. I haven't seen one of those in almost seven months.

In any event I am back in the Valley for two more weeks.

No comments: